Thursday, March 10, 2011

sweet grace.

grace. the sweet unmerited favor of God.

most of the time it is hard to understand. do i really deserve grace? nope. actually you (we) deserve nothing. but isn't that was so sweet about grace? its undeserved. its love in its truest form.

grace is forgiving, when you don't feel like it. grace is loving, when they're unlovable. grace is giving all of yourself, despite what others might think. grace goes against EVERYTHING the world tells us.

i am reminded of that old hymn Marvelous Grace. the chorus is "grace, grace. God's grace. grace that can pardon and cleanse, within. grace, grace, God's grace. grace that is greater than all our sin."

as i think of grace, i can't help but think of love. it was explained this way "grace is the arm that extends the gifts of the ordinary, and the same arm that holds you tight when you hear the [bad] news." i love that. i love that in our brokenness, grace is extended. i love that in our ordinary days, grace is given. God loves us so unfathomably much, that he covers us with grace. we suck, and He is perfect. the two do not go together. but BECAUSE he loves us, we are a perfect match.

i need grace. desperately. i need the promises seen in Lamentations 3. i need it as much as i need breath. i love that my sweet Jesus loves me despite myself.

hallelujah for grace.
Hallelujah by Bethany Dillon

Who can hold the stars
And my weary heart?
Who can see everything?
I've fallen so hard
Sometimes I feel so far
But not beyond your reach

I could climb a mountain
Swim the ocean
Or do anything
But it's when you hold me
That I start unfolding
And all I can say is

Hallelujah, hallelujah
Whatever's in front of me
Help me to sing hallelujah
Hallelujah, hallelujah
Whatever's in front of me
I'll choose to sing hallelujah

The same sun that
Rises over castles
And welcomes the day
Spills over buildings
Into the streets
Where orphans play

And only you can see the good
In broken things
You took my heart of stone
And you made it home
And set this prisoner free

Hallelujah, hallelujah
Whatever's in front of me
Help me to sing hallelujah
Hallelujah, hallelujah
Whatever's in front of me
I'll choose to sing hallelujah 


No comments:

Post a Comment